Saturday, April 27, 2013

Working with Toddlers

The most hardest portraits to accomplish... the ones of a tempered toddler. For the longest time I refused to take photographs of little kids, they continuously frustrated me. They get bored easily, and a bored subject makes for a boring photograph. The biggest idea is to work with them, don't push them. I can't tell you how often I've gotten into fights with my baby sister and it just ended up ruining the entire photoshoot. You have to work with them.
If its nice outside, then you have the greatest advantage on your side. I don't think I've ever seen a kid who doesn't just love to go outside. So take them outside and play games with them. I always play the "I'm gonna get you!" game to make them want to run and laugh. Let them have full rein of the world around them, and just simply photograph them in their element. You can also coax them into playing in spots or on things that you want to use in your photograph. In the photo below I got Ella and Alena to play on an old pick up truck. It made a cute best friend photo.
Another great thing that keeps kids occupied are props. Like in the photo above, Alena loved playing with the baloon, which are always an awesome prop. Don't forget to let them dress up, little girls just love to dress up and play pretend.

No comments:

Post a Comment